Friday, May 6, 2011

Supplements during Pregnancy

Pregnancy is one time in a woman's life that doctors agree they need supplementation. During the first visit to the family physician or obstetrician, they will usually prescribe what had become known as prenatal vitamins. Intended to boost nutritional intake which are usually a multiple vitamin with extra folic acid.

Studies shows that woman who are taking at least 400 to 800 mcg of folic acid prior to becoming pregnant substantially decrease the risk of their child having a neural tube defect (spina bifida or hydrocephalus). This protection does not occur when supplements are begun two to three weeks after a woman discovers she is pregnant. Therefore, if there is even a slight possibility of becoming pregnant, a woman should be taking nutritional supplements.

My gynae had advised me to take folic acid throughout my first trimester. When i am in my 12 weeks, he suggested that i should take additional calcium, fish oil and other multivitamins. He introduced me Obimin Pluz which contains vitamins, mineral, DHA, EPA, folic acid and many more, all inside 2 tablets.

Since being pregnant with No.2, i had been reading a lot about Nutrition and Supplements in hope to give something better to No.2. Coincidentally, one of my friend suggested this book "Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements" by Lyle MacWilliam to me. The book scientifically rated and compared over 1,500 US and Canadian supplements (mainly multivitamins). It's actually an eye opening to see that many of the popular brands available in Malaysia failed the test badly and is actually containing toxic.

I was then introduced to the product USANA (the No.1 brand in US/Canada according to the book). I am hoping to check on Obimin Pluz's scores with the book however the product is not included in the test as Obimin Pluz is from Indonesia. Since supplements are a must during pregnancy, why not choose a good brand? Hence i had since started taking Essentials (Multivitamins), Active Calcium Plus, Biomega III Plus and Proflavanol from USANA.

The great things about it is that i don't have the urge to puke anymore as compared to the time when i was taking Obimin Pluz. There's no fishy smells that makes me sick. The size of the tablets are almost the same as Obimin Pluz tablets (except Proflavanol) and it is easily dissolved in water.

I am taking the tablets twice a day and am hoping for the best for the little ones.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Hi , I've read a few things on this site and I really do think that it has helped tremendously. There's still a heap I need to learn thus can continue learning and can keep coming back. Thanks.

    Canadian Supplements

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the first to comment. I am at my learning stage too. Do hope that we can share some information and learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete